Over the lifespan of digital music there has been a constant desire to control the copying of the data. Various watermarking and copy-protection schemes were put in place to ensure that folks wouldn’t share music. But no matter how protected the data there was always a weak link between the digital realm and the realm where you could listen to music. That was referred to as the analog hole; the moment when the digital signals become sound waves that your ears and brain perceive as music.
Luckily for us in the Creative Commons realm we can still share digital copies of our favorite music. We don’t have to worry about exploiting the analog hole; it’s just another part in the enjoyment of our music.
We’ve got a great collection of Creative Commons Licensed metal music lined up for you in this episode. We have music from Plague Mass, Imminent Attack, Mosh, Norilsk, Mindslaved, Desdinova, Machete, and Snake Thursday. It’s a show you’ll be happy didn’t stay locked in the digital realm forever.
- (00:10) The Prisoner by PLAGUE MASS from Living Among Meat Eaters (BY-NC)
- (03:24) Work Buy Die by Imminent Attack from Welcome to my Funeral (BY-SA)
- (05:28) Esta vez by Mosh from Impune (BY-NC-SA)
- (09:30) Ghosts of Loss (Passage pt. I) by Norilsk from Le Passage des Glaciers (BY-NC)
- (14:35) Sphere by Mindslaved from The Self Paragon (BY-SA)
- (21:23) Marsiferum by Desdinova from Dead Space (BY-NC-SA)
- (26:14) My Own Way by Machete from Machete -s/t- (BY-NC-ND)
- (30:33) More Than Human by Snake Thursday from Iter (BY-NC-ND)
Please support the bands in this show! Buy a T-Shirt, buy an album, or head to the shows. Whatever you can do to help these bands keep making music, please do it!
If you have any suggestions for Creative Commons licensed metal, send me a link at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Metalcast #165 (MP3)
Open Metalcast #165 (OGG)